Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Macromolecules Lab Response

To start, I thought this lab was very entertaining and surprising. The entertainment came from the excitement of running different tests on different substances. I thought this was entertaining because everyone was very excited to complete their first lab that involved burners, goggles, and test tubes. There definitely an up-beat commotion in the classroom. However, the surprising part comes from the results of the tests. The results of the foods we tested varied from my predictions and were very unexpected. When I looked at the results, I questioned myself. Did we make a mistake? Is this really the food we think it is? Although once the reason why each result showed the way it did, it all started to make sense. We realized there may have been some inaccuracies, and also that some results were actually very true. Even though some of the results were complicated and confusing, not all of them were. For instance, my predictions for the potato exactly matched the results. The potato was a fairly simple food to test and the results were understandable. The food that I tested was egg whites. My predictions matched up pretty well with my personal results. However, what caught me off guard was that it did not contain protein. My partner and I were very appalled. We were confused because people usually say that eggs is a good source of protein, but as we found out, it doesn't contain protein. Even though some results were misleading, overall, this lab was very fun and helpful lab.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the lab, and I'm glad you were excited to where goggles! Next time, try to add a bit more specific information to your post to go along with your reflection. Also, make sure you are clear on specifically which test results were accurate and which were inaccurate? What might have caused these results to be incorrect?

    ReplyDelete